NDLEA Has Sent Message To Drug Cartels With 50,901 Arrests, 9,034 Convictions – Marwa

Forum 2 weeks ago

NDLEA Has Sent Message To Drug Cartels With 50,901 Arrests, 9,034 Convictions – Marwa

Mohamed Buba Marwa, the Chairman of the National Drug no Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), has emphasized that the arrest of 50,901 drug offenders, including 46 barons, and the successful prosecution and conviction of 9,034 individuals, alongside the seizure of over 7,561 tonnes of illicit substances over the past 38 months, serves as a clear message to drug cartels that Nigeria will not tolerate their criminal activities.

Marwa stated this in Lagos on Monday, 15th April 2024 in his remarks at the commissioning and handing over ceremony of an operational facility built and donated to NDLEA by the British Government.

He said,
”As an agency, NDLEA has undergone a tremendous reformation, with its metamorphosis catalysed by partners like the UK. Our operations have undergone substantial reforms, resulting in remarkable achievements within the last three years.

“During this period, the NDLEA achieved significant milestones in its mission to combat drug trafficking and abuse. With a total of 50,901 arrests, including the apprehension of 46 drug barons, our agency has demonstrated its unwavering commitment to bringing those involved in illicit drug activities to justice.

“Furthermore, the conviction of 9,034 offenders underscores our relentless pursuit of accountability and deterrence in the fight against drug-related crimes.

“Our seizure of 7,560,748.5 kilograms (7,561 tonnes) not only disrupts the flow of illegal drugs but also serves as a significant blow to the criminal networks responsible for their distribution.

“We have taken decisive action against illicit drug crop cultivation with our search-and-destroy campaign against cannabis plantations which have led to the destruction of 1,057.33348 hectares of cannabis farms in the past three years.”

While acknowledging officials of the British Government that facilitated the realisation of the project especially Mr Dave Carter, the NDLEA boss called for the strengthening of the partnership between Nigeria and the UK.

Marwa stated that though so much has been achieved under his leadership of the agency, the battle against illicit drugs is far from over. “Let us redouble our efforts, with renewed vigour and determination, as we strive to build a safer, more secure future for generations to come”, he charged.

Speaking at the ceremony, British Deputy High Commissioner to Nigeria, Jonny Baxter assured of continued support to NDLEA and Nigeria.

According to him,
“We, the UK government are delighted to have this long-standing relationship with the NDLEA and I’m in particular delighted to have been personally in a number of activities especially your maritime. This building makes a whole set of different actors and capabilities to address any criminal activity.

“We’re delighted to continue our support for the NDLEA and the Nigerian government to tackle what is sadly a global industry, which needs a global response. I’ll like to join the chairman in affirming our continued support, our continued cooperation and indeed our continued pride in working together with ladies and gentlemen of this agency, the NDLEA.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
I Was Sent Out Of My Husband’s House Day He Died – Nollywood Actor Ajigijaga’s Wife
Forum | 8 hours ago

I Was Sent Out Of My Husband’s House Day He Died – Nollywood Actor Ajigijaga’s Wife

NDLEA Nabs 28-Year-Old Woman Who Manufactures Cakes Laced With Drugs
Forum | 9 hours ago

NDLEA Nabs 28-Year-Old Woman Who Manufactures Cakes Laced With Drugs

NSCDC Arrests Wanted Oil Thieves In Abia
Forum | 3 days ago

NSCDC Arrests Wanted Oil Thieves In Abia

Classic Okoli Weeps After Sharing Insensitive Message She Received For Escaping Boat Accident
Forum | 4 days ago

Classic Okoli Weeps After Sharing Insensitive Message She Received For Escaping Boat Accident