Liverpool like building puzzle -Klopp

Forum 7 years ago

Liverpool like building puzzle -Klopp

The 49-year-old is not fussed over the deals that have not materialised, focusing the surgical business he believes the club have already completed with help from Fenway Sports ...

Jurgen Klopp has revealed he has not had even "one per cent" of conflict with Liverpool’s owners during the summer window as he constructs a squad to tackle his first full season in charge at Anfield.

The German has overseen seven new signings ahead of 2016-17, but they have been sensible moves as opposed to the blockbuster business being done by the likes of Manchester United and Manchester City.

That is very much in keeping with Klopp’s stance on making a statement on the training pitch rather than the transfer market.

However, the Reds have been foiled in their pursuit of key targets.

Mario Gotze’s indecision saw Liverpool walk away from negotiations, while Udinese made it clear they were not keen on letting Piotr Zielinski make the switch to Anfield.

Borussia Monchengladbach are against sanctioning the exit of Mahmoud Dahoud this summer, while discussions with Leicester over Ben Chilwell have stalled.

But Klopp is not fussed over the deals that have not materialised, focusing the surgical business he believes the club have already completed.

The manager has also highlighted the emergence of Ben Woodburn, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Ovie Ejaria, insisting there has to be a balance between buying talent and helping develop the players already on Liverpool’s books.

“100%. Absolutely, I've been able to do what I wanted,” was Klopp’s unequivocal answer when asked about the support he has received from Fenway Sports Group regarding recruitment.

“There was never a discussion where I had one per cent of the feeling I didn't understand our situation or something. They have been really cool.

“I speak with Mike Gordon regularly and we're working on different fronts, working here, developing this, bringing together this.

“We have already bought seven players.
That's a big number, it's not that we haven't been active in the transfer market.
It's all about balance.

“We find three young guys in our own club – Ben, Trent and Ovie – it's wonderful.
That's really important for the club.

“When I spoke to Alex Inglethorpe, I said if you have someone 16, another 18, it would be great.

“In four weeks we will see they are still young.
Let them run and to go and enjoy it. Step back, train and develop.

“They have a lot to learn but we've already seen there's a real future for them.
That's really good to see.”

The 49-year-old believes he has bolstered his squad far beyond public perception.
He cited the signing of centre-back Ragnar Klavan as an example, before explaining how bringing in Alex Manninger allowed the club to advance the progress of their other goalkeepers.

“I have heard that people have been talking about Klavan as our fourth option,” Klopp said.

“Wait and see him play and then tell me again that he should wait until all the others are injured or something.

“Okay, it's a little bit different with Alex.
He knows his role as something of an educator for the boys.

“But he gives us opportunities to feel secure with a No 3 keeper to help John [Achterberg] with all the goalkeepers around and to allow us to send [Adam] Bogdan, [Ryan] Fulton and [Danny] Ward on loan, and keep Shamal [George] here to play for the Under-21s.
That's quite cool.

“There's been a lot of planning.
It's like a puzzle. That's how building a squad works.”

Klopp revealed there is still much work to be done on Liverpool’s outgoings, and that the club could possibly dip into the market once more.

“We still have to do a lot of things on the selling side,” he said.

“We don't want to have 500 players in the squad.

“We're in a good way. We don't need to make another three or four signings, maybe one more, maybe not.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
EPL: Why Liverpool lost 2-0 to Everton – Klopp
Forum | 13 hours ago

EPL: Why Liverpool lost 2-0 to Everton – Klopp

EPL: Arsenal, Man City must have bad moments – Klopp on Liverpool’s title chances
Forum | 13 hours ago

EPL: Arsenal, Man City must have bad moments – Klopp on Liverpool’s title chances

EPL: John Terry predicts positions Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool will finish
Forum | 13 hours ago

EPL: John Terry predicts positions Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool will finish

I’m Not Fighting With My Successor Like Other Ex-Governors – Dave Umahi
Forum | 3 days ago

I’m Not Fighting With My Successor Like Other Ex-Governors – Dave Umahi