Ebola: Bauchi Residents Shun Meat Opt For Fish

Forum 9 years ago

Ebola: Bauchi Residents Shun Meat Opt For Fish

Fish business has recorded a huge success in the last two weeks in Bauchi State following the red alert over Ebola virus across the country.

Vanguard reports that, fish sellers in the state are being increasingly patronised as residents shun meat in reaction to reports that the virus could be contracted through meat consumption, especially bush meat.
It was gathered that on Saturday, fish sellers at Wunti, Muda Lawal and Central markets, as well as those along the Maiduguri Road confirmed increased patronage over the last few days. Owners of fish ponds in the state also witnessed the same patronage.

According to Mrs. Bolaji Olorunwaju, a fish seller, the Ebola alert scared residents from consuming bush meat and opt for fish instead.
“Since last week, I have made great profit from the sale of fish. I now make between five to ten thousand naira a day unlike the former situation when I made five thousand a day” she said.

Sani Maigari, another fish seller opposite the Bauchi stadium said sales had increased in the last two weeks following fear of contracting Ebola virus through meat consumption.

Responding, Umar Gamawa, the Director of the State Primary Health Care Development Agency, PHCDA, stated that the state government had already put in place measures to curtail the outbreak of Ebola in the state.

Ebola virus was first recorded in 1976 after an outbreak in Zaire now the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where 88 per cent of the 318 people that were infected died. Another outbreak in 1995 also claimed the lives of 81% of the 315 infected people.

The virus has four types: Ebola-Zaire, Ebola-Sudan and Ebola-Ivory Coast all affect humans, while Ebola-Reston has so far only affected monkeys and chimpanzees. It multiplies rapidly in the human body and quickly overwhelms it, leading to the deaths of most of the victims giving the virus a very terrifying reputation.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Residents Flee As Soldiers Leave Niger Community After Deadly Ambush
Forum | 8 hours ago

Residents Flee As Soldiers Leave Niger Community After Deadly Ambush

How My Son Was Killed By Vigilante Group – Bauchi District Head Reveals
Forum | 1 week ago

Forum | 1 week ago