My Songs Are Prophetic – Obey

Forum 9 years ago

My Songs Are Prophetic – Obey

Music maestro, Chief Ebenezer Obey, clocked 73 years last week. In a chat with SAMUEL ABULUDE, the gospel music icon recounts that his songs of old were a projection into what Nigeria is today.

How does it feel being 73 years sir?
It’s by God’s grace. No man can attain anything by himself alone. I give thanks to God Almighty for his mercies. I celebrated 72 years a year ago and I have just added another year now. It can only be by the magnificent grace of God as no man can add a cubit to his life. God has been good to me and has been good to my family as well. All that I achieved in life is by His help and I owe God all that I have done in life and the good name that I have made. So, I have decided that for the rest of my life, I’ll serve God more and be closer to him. Being 73 years means that I’ve got to take life easy as my outlook on life has changed and now there is nothing I want to really achieve again other than to please my God, my maker. So, I’m resolved to be closer to God and win more souls for Christ. I’ll still be playing my music and count each day, special as another day added to my life. It is a gift from God.

And you are a great grandfather too…
Yes, my family keeps getting larger. Again, I give thanks to the Almighty for His favour and grace upon my family. My daughter abroad had a child last year incidentally during my 72nd birthday.

[ads4]
You have been dominant all these years. What has been the staying power for you?
I used to say that there can only one be Obey. One of my sons is also a juju musician. I’m talking of Tolu Obey. He sings like me but not exactly like me. That is why there can only be one me. Talking of my music, my essence and the uniqueness of the Obey brand, God is the wisdom behind my composition.

You play the guitar so effortlessly. How were you able to master the guitar?
I learnt the instrument while in school effortlessly. I was in the choir and watched people play the guitar and other instruments. Learning it for me was easy because I’m gifted for it. While I was growing up, theagidigbomusic was in vogue and Adeolu Akinsanya was a musician, of themamboorchestra. I respected him a lot then because of his dexterity in composing great songs and he was not a juju. I was not taught how to play the guitar by any man.

Your music with the track,Ala ti mo la si Nigeria Aa sewhich means ‘my dream for Nigeria will become a reality’ recorded more than two decades has come to the fore now that Nigeria seems to be experiencing a rebirth with a new leadership in Nigeria. Do you agree?
(Smiles) Yes, that song with the chorus,Ala ti mo lasi Nigeria Aa seis from my album, ‘My VISION’. It was a great song. (He started to sing). That song was timely. You ask me whether that song which was a prayer and a dream will come to pass in our time. I don’t know but only God knows and he inspired that song, I never could have written those lyrics from my own mind. That is why the song is prophetic because God la!d it on my mind through his inspiration in me. Songs are prophetic you know? Incidentally, I received a call by Mr Wole who wrote my biography, a journalist like you and he brought the subject about that same song a day ago after we experienced a new leadership with General Muhammadu Buhari’s triumph in the election against the incumbent. I believe God loves Nigeria and the violence was avoided. I was only doing my part by recording that song about Nigeria. I have done other songs for Nigeria since then. Come to think of it that song:Nigeria Si Ma Dun O dami loju Adun, from my album ‘My Vision’ was recorded exactly 30 years ago after the Golden Eaglets won the first Under 17 World Cup in China. That was a feat and now 30 years after, Nigeria has been through a lot and we are now at a crossroad to allow democracy to reign.

How do you pen the lyrics of your music. Is it through dreams?
As I said, it is the gift of God. I value my quietness so much and the best times that I get inspiration is when I’m in the toilet. That is the time that I’m left alone free of phone calls, visits by people and friends and all engagements. It is at this time that I compose my songs. That is when I get inspiration the most to write songs and now get into my studio to record them. That is why my best moment is when I am left alone and left to ponder and meditate on God’s word. I cherish when I am alone, me and God alone.

Is it possible for the younger generation to stick strictly to the gospel music genre?
You remember my song, ‘Generation to Generation’,Ile aye, eje ka mu leso leso ka se jeje. That song says every generation has its space and things peculiar to their time. During my time, it was juju music, now it is hip hop music. That is the trend and nobody can turn the hands of time. Back to the question whether the younger generation or new musicians can focus on juju music alone? Yes, it is possible if they are focused and are able to draw their fans from the pool of music lovers. Mind you, it is the older generation that fancy Juju music even Apala music and Fuji music too. So ajuju musician needs a full band and that takes discipline and lots of money.

Your generation Juju musicians were so unique and transcended the times. How come only you and KSA stand out?
We must have been doing something others were not doing. I for one, I pay attention to details. I learnt how to play the guitar by myself. I was part of my school band and later became the head of my school band, yet I was the youngest. It was from there I learnt under few people and started my own band. Myself and KSA have come a long way and we shared a lot of experiences. Other artistes you talked about who were our contemporaries are also doing their own. I must attribute my zenith to the top as God’s mercy. He choose to make me a success because really success comes from Him alone.

We may work hard, rehearse burn energy in the studio, promote our songs but if God does not bless it, it won’t go far. Before KSA and Ebenezer Obey, there were a lot of artistes doing juju music.

Since your wife died what has changed?
I still miss her absence.This is someone you lived with for 50 years. You will definitely miss her. There are things I want to do that she would help me do differently but I’m not lonely. My children are here and my grandchildren come to play with me from time to time. So, I’m not really missing my wife, God has made her go before me.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Obey Court Order On Yahaya Bello - CSOs Tell EFCC
Forum | 3 days ago

Obey Court Order On Yahaya Bello - CSOs Tell EFCC

Nigerian Actress, Obey Etok Chima Suffers Double Blow As She Loses Her Father Just Hours Before Her Husband’s Burial
Forum | 1 week ago

Nigerian Actress, Obey Etok Chima Suffers Double Blow As She Loses Her Father Just Hours Before Her Husband’s Burial

I’m A Master Producer – Don Jazzy Shares Throwback Hit Songs As He Reminds Fans Of His Musical Prowess
Forum | 2 weeks ago

I’m A Master Producer – Don Jazzy Shares Throwback Hit Songs As He Reminds Fans Of His Musical Prowess

I Cry While Recording Some Songs – Singer Tems
Forum | 4 weeks ago

I Cry While Recording Some Songs – Singer Tems