Rivers: Security Agents Who Rigged Election Won’t Go Unpunished –Amaechi

Forum 8 years ago

Rivers: Security Agents Who Rigged Election Won’t Go Unpunished –Amaechi

‘Rivers State governor and chairman of Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF), Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, has declared that security operatives who helped the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to rig the just concluded general elections will not go unpunished.

Amaechi stated this yesterday in Port Harcourt during a special thanksgiving service to mark the end of the 2015 electioneering period.

The event was organized by the Greater Together Campaign Organization (GTCO), the campaign machinery of the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state, Dr Dakuku Adol Peterside.

The governor also alleged that a newly promoted commissioner of police, Mr John Amadi, who served as deputy commissioner of police (Operations) in the state during the general elections, had plotted to eliminate him.

He said: “I will say to all of you that there is a man called John Amadi, former deputy commissioner of police, who sat down and ran a programme to embarrass the APC and embarrass the incoming federal government, even after Buhari had won the presidency. Now, to embarrass us further, I hear he has been promoted to a commissioner of police and transferred out of Port Harcourt. He will come back. John Amadi will come back; you will see.

The only way he will not come back is if we don’t form government, but if we form government, he will account for his actions.

“After John Amadi, an assistant commissioner of police in Khana said it was mutiny to take on the federal government, and he sat down and fought APC as if he was a PDP member. I don’t know whether he has been promoted or not, but if he has been promoted, he will also come back.

That one does not require a judge. IGP can promote them as he wants; he can even promote them up assistant-inspector-general of police, but they must all account for their actions.

[ads4]
The outgoing Rivers governor accused the newly promoted police commissioner, Amadi, of harbouring plans to cause his (Amaechi’s) death during the campaign.

He said: “John Amadi intended to kill me and I will tell you how. On my way to my village to go and vote, I ran into some criminals attacking an APC member and I stopped. I stopped to rescue the gentleman and arrest those people, as governor. I did not know that they had given instruction to my own security (detail) not to obey me.

“So, when I told the policemen to arrest them, they were just standing. On further inquiries, I was told that ‘we were told not to go anywhere they were voting.’”

The governor narrated that when he called for reinforcement, more security men were deployed to the scene but that Amadi again called them back and asked them to leave the place.

“The only thing that saved me and saved the situation was that the brigade commander sent in soldiers.The soldiers sent the criminals away and the people were speaking my language saying, ‘somebody will die here now’ and who was that somebody other than me?

“My SSS men were watching, my policemen were watching and my life was at risk; and I was supposed to be the governor of Rivers State, the so-called chief security officer.”

Amaechi further alleged that before the commencement of the 2015 general election, the PDP-led federal government had put some structures in place in all the nation’s airports to stop him (Amaechi) from travelling out of the country in the event that the APC lost the presidential election, adding that his passport, which was seized by the authorities before the elections, was returned to him on Friday.

“Imagine that Buhari did not win, they wouldn’t even have let us enter this hall, even when we are still in government. They were already preparing to take us away. They had organized a structure at all the airports not to allow me to travel after we lost. They had seized by Red Passport. They gave me back my Red Passport only two days ago, signed on April 28, by which time we had finished our election. They didn’t know that we will win,” Amaechi said.

The governor also predicted tough times for his successor.

He said, “We have no money anywhere; even in Rivers State, we have no money. I think Nyesom Wike is coming; let us see where he will get money to pay salaries. We were enduring the pains because we had to pay our loans. We have paid a lot of our loans, if not all. So, he will have to manage. When they finish paying salaries, we will see if any of them can do what we did in this state – whether they can build the schools, fix the roads or even get loans.”

In his remark, the APC governorship candidate in the state, Hon Dakuku Peterside, said he was certain the election petitions tribunal would restore his mandate to him.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Court Orders INEC To Publish Audited Election Expenses Of Political Parties, Others
Forum | 14 hours ago

Court Orders INEC To Publish Audited Election Expenses Of Political Parties, Others

Iyabo Ojo Begs Sanwo-Olu, Security Over Mohbad Mother’s Safety
Forum | 1 day ago

Iyabo Ojo Begs Sanwo-Olu, Security Over Mohbad Mother’s Safety

Forum | 1 day ago

Security Operatives Uncover Alleged Hideout of Yoruba Nation Agitators in Ibadan
Forum | 2 days ago

Security Operatives Uncover Alleged Hideout of Yoruba Nation Agitators in Ibadan