EPL: Chelsea should have added buy-back clause in defender’s contract – Danny Murphy

Forum 6 months ago

EPL: Chelsea should have added buy-back clause in defender’s contract – Danny Murphy

Former Liverpool ace, Danny Murphy believes Chelsea made a mistake by not including a buy-back clause in defender Marc Guehi’s contract before allowing the player to leave the club.

Guehi is maturing into a top-class centre-back since leaving Chelsea for Crystal Palace in 2021.

The 23-year-old has earned a place in Gareth Southgate’s England squad.

He even started England’s last two matches, against Ukraine and Scotland, respectively.

Guehi is expected to keep his place for England’s upcoming games against Australia and Italy over the next week.

He is now attracting attention from some of the top clubs in the Premier League, with the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham both linked with moves over the summer.

“I think it’s always difficult when players are on a certain journey that doesn’t align with the club,” Murphy told talkSPORT.

“And what I mean by that is he wanted to play every week, he was probably at Chelsea at a time where players ahead of him were rightly ahead of him.

“And although you might see this potential and this emerging talent for a year or two years down the line, if he’s completely unsettled and there’s a value to get him gone and take the money for him and let him go, you [do that].

“I mean, they should have put a buy-back clause in of a reasonable amount maybe.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Iwobi moves to fourth position on Nigeria’s highest capped list
Forum | 15 hours ago

EPL: Iwobi moves to fourth position on Nigeria’s highest capped list

EPL: You damaged English football – Pochettino slams VAR after Aston Villa draw
Forum | 15 hours ago

EPL: You damaged English football – Pochettino slams VAR after Aston Villa draw

EPL: Chelsea’s 2-2 draw with Aston Villa sees Arsenal qualify for Champions League
Forum | 15 hours ago

EPL: Chelsea’s 2-2 draw with Aston Villa sees Arsenal qualify for Champions League

EPL: If I speak, there will be fire – Salah on clash with Klopp at West Ham
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: If I speak, there will be fire – Salah on clash with Klopp at West Ham