Grammy Is US Award, Let’s Support Our Own — Joeboy to Colleagues

Forum 2 weeks ago

Grammy Is US Award, Let’s Support Our Own — Joeboy to Colleagues

Joseph Akinwale, a popular Afrobeats singer known as Joeboy has called on musicians to support local awards.

According to him, African awards should be valued more over foreign awards.

He spoke when he appeared on The Big Convo podcast, the 26-year-old singer argued that the Grammys is an American award show despite its worldwide recognition.

He also called on Afrobeats stars to support award shows in the continent rather than pay attention to the Grammys.

“I think we should unapologetically be ourselves and also empower our institutions here in Africa,” he said.

“Grammys is a great award but it is still an American award. It is just seen as a global award because of its positioning.

“But we make it look like that it is the biggest award an African artiste can ever get. Why don’t we show up for our awards and plan it properly?

“If they did not show up for their awards, it won’t be as great as it is now. I know there is money to be made there but we need to return home and invest.

“At the end of the day, we will all have to come back. So it is all about making sure our infrastructure and institutions are growing.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Rema Threatens Colleagues Copying His Fashion Style
Forum | 10 hours ago

Rema Threatens Colleagues Copying His Fashion Style

I Recommended Peter Obi To Atiku, Can’t Support Tinubu In 2027 – Reno Omokri
Forum | 1 week ago

I Recommended Peter Obi To Atiku, Can’t Support Tinubu In 2027 – Reno Omokri

BBNaija Star, Phyna Accuses Nigerians Of Double Standard, Seeks Support For Her Demand
Forum | 1 week ago

BBNaija Star, Phyna Accuses Nigerians Of Double Standard, Seeks Support For Her Demand

Female Musicians Should Support Each Other More – Singer, Rose May Alaba
Forum | 1 week ago

Female Musicians Should Support Each Other More – Singer, Rose May Alaba