Drama In Anambra Prison As Discharged Inmate Refuses To Go Home, Begs Court Judge To Allow Him Stay

Forum 6 years ago

Drama In Anambra Prison As Discharged Inmate Refuses To Go Home, Begs Court Judge To Allow Him Stay

A prison inmate who was discharged on health grounds, caused a mild drama at Anambra prison after he refused to go home and begged the judge to allow him continue to stay in prison.

Drama ensued in Aguata prisons in Anambra State when a defendant, Tobias Mbaekwe, granted bail on health condition, refused to go home despite his family’s willingness to meets the bail conditions, DailyTrust reports.

Mbaekwe, who is from Ozubulu in Ekwusigo local government area of the state, was among three juveniles imprisoned at medium security prisons. He, Aguata and ten others regained their freedom when the State Chief Judge, Justice Peter Umeadi granted ordered that they be released due to their health and delay in prosecution.

The defendant collapsed on the floor shortly after he was granted bail, begging the Chief Judge to let him stay back in prison as his relatives, numbering thirty one, have ganged up to kill him.
“They said they will kill me if I come back home. They grabbed my father’s land after killing him in 1980. They latter kidnapped me and threatened to kill me and that is why they abandoned me here since 2012,” he cried out.
Justice Umeadi however directed the Aguata Prisons Welfare Officer to take the defendant to the DPP of Ozubulu Police station who would in turn accompany him home.
He also directed that the defendant be visited every three months, adding that he could be re-arraigned by the DPO anytime they wanted to prosecute him.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Activist Drags Soludo, Others to Court For Running Anambra LGs With Unelected Officials
Forum | 2 days ago

Activist Drags Soludo, Others to Court For Running Anambra LGs With Unelected Officials

Drama As Adeleke’s Two Wives Print Separate Posters To Welcome First Lady, Remi Tinubu
Forum | 2 days ago

Drama As Adeleke’s Two Wives Print Separate Posters To Welcome First Lady, Remi Tinubu

Appeal Court Fails To Hear EFCC’s Suit Against Kogi Ex-Gov Yahaya Bello
Forum | 2 days ago

Appeal Court Fails To Hear EFCC’s Suit Against Kogi Ex-Gov Yahaya Bello

Court Reverses Order Suspending Ganduje As APC National Chairman
Forum | 2 days ago

Court Reverses Order Suspending Ganduje As APC National Chairman