Now I Can Watch Liverpool With A Glass Of Wine - Van Gaal

Forum 8 years ago

Now I Can Watch Liverpool With A Glass Of Wine - Van Gaal

Manchester United's 2-1 victory against Crystal Palace leaves the Reds needing to beat Chelsea on Sunday for any chance of the top four, leaving the Dutchman relaxed

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says that he will watch Liverpool's showdown with Chelsea in a relaxed mood "with a fantastic glass of wine" after a decisive victory against Crystal Palace.

The Red Devils saw off Alan Pardew's side 2-1 at Selhurst Park on Saturday, Juan Mata and Marouane Fellaini scoring their goals, to go seven points clear in fourth with two games left to play.

Brendan Rodgers's men play their 36th match of the Premier League season at Stamford Bridge and, due to a vast gap in goal difference, need to win if they are to have any realistic chance of denying United a return to the Champions League.

[ads4]
"I am very happy with the result and it brings us a step closer to our goal," Van Gaal told the press after beating Palace.

"Now we will see [on Sunday], with a fantastic glass of wine, the result between Liverpool and Chelsea."

United's win came after a run of three consecutive defeats and the Dutchman acknowledge the strangeness of finally getting three points despite playing more poorly, in his view, than in some of those losses.

"Football is crazy because, when you see how we have played against Chelsea, Everton and West Brom and you compare it with today, this was, in that row of matches, not our best match," he remarked, "but you win and that’s also the beauty of football. What I have seen today is the fighting spirit of my team."

Goalkeeper David de Gea starred in the second half as Palace threatened to do much more than equalise with Jason Puncheon's free kick, including two superb saves from Glenn Murray, drawing praise from Van Gaal.

The manager enthused: "He made a great save at the most important moment because, at that time, Crystal Palace could score the second goal and then it shall be very difficult for us to come again in the match."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
EPL: Guardiola reveals how Arsenal, Liverpool are better than Man City
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: Guardiola reveals how Arsenal, Liverpool are better than Man City

EPL: You’ll never be champions – Klopp slams Liverpool players after Palace defeat
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: You’ll never be champions – Klopp slams Liverpool players after Palace defeat

EPL: Guardiola predicts Arsenal, Liverpool fixtures after Man City beat Luton
Forum | 4 days ago

EPL: Guardiola predicts Arsenal, Liverpool fixtures after Man City beat Luton

EPL: Chris Sutton predicts Liverpool vs Crystal Palace, reveals major issue with Reds
Forum | 5 days ago

EPL: Chris Sutton predicts Liverpool vs Crystal Palace, reveals major issue with Reds