Woman Reveals the Horrific Moment She Found Out Her Husband and Daughter Had Died in House Fire

Forum 6 years ago

Woman Reveals the Horrific Moment She Found Out Her Husband and Daughter Had Died in House Fire

A woman has told of the really heartbreaking moment she found out her husband and her daughter had both died in a raging house fire.

Sara Broadhead, a 35-year-old mother has recalled the harrowing moment she realised her husband and eight-year-old daughter had died in a house fire that is alleged to have been an arson attack.

According to The Sun UK, Sara Broadhead, 35, and her eldest daughter Mia, 13, were helped to safety by neighbours after flames took hold of their home in Wakefield, West Yorks.

But, her husband Andrew and other daughter Kiera were unable to escape the blaze.

In a statement read by prosecutor Jonathan Sharp at Leeds Crown Court, Sara described being awoken by a loud bang as she was in bed with her husband in the early hours October 19 last year.

She recalled looking over the banister and seeing flames surrounding the front door.

She said: "I started shouting, 'Fire, fire, we need to get out'.
"Andy and I were in a panic, bumping into each other on the landing."

She went on to describe how she went to Mia's bedroom and told her to climb out of the window while her husband went to get Kiera.

Sara and Mia then climbed out onto the roof of a utility room.

She said: "I could hear Andy coughing and Kiera screaming but when I dropped down onto the flat roof they weren't behind me."

The statement continued: "It all went quiet and I just knew."

Jurors were also told how Sara’s worst fears were confirmed when emergency services arrived.

The statement continued: "The fire brigade came and they managed to get inside. Eventually I saw Kiera being carried out and as they were bringing her down I saw her arm move and my heart jumped.

"She was la!d on the grass but then I realised that she hadn't made it.

"I was standing there in a daze staring at my little girl on the grass."

Daniel Jones, of Knottingley, West Yorks, is accused of starting the fire that caused the deaths.

He has pleaded not guilty to two charges of murder and two alternative counts of manslaughter.

He also denies arson with intent to endanger life, an alternative charge of arson being reckless as to whether life was endangered and burglary.

The prosecution claims Jones poured petrol through the letterbox of the property in order to destroy possible CCTV evidence of a burglary he is alleged to have committed days earlier at another house in the street.

Sara said in the statement that the CCTV camera on the front of the house was not working at the time of the incident.

The trial continues.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Wife In Pain as Cheating Husband Infects Her With HIV Five Months After Marriage
Forum | 11 hours ago

Wife In Pain as Cheating Husband Infects Her With HIV Five Months After Marriage

Vehicle Falls Off Tow Truck And Crushes Woman To Death In Anambra
Forum | 11 hours ago

Vehicle Falls Off Tow Truck And Crushes Woman To Death In Anambra

Nancy Isime Reveals The Best Gift She Will Give to Anyone She Loves
Forum | 12 hours ago

Nancy Isime Reveals The Best Gift She Will Give to Anyone She Loves

Woman Who Shot Her Nigerian Husband Dead In The US To Appear Before Court In May
Forum | 17 hours ago

Woman Who Shot Her Nigerian Husband Dead In The US To Appear Before Court In May