Yahya Jammeh; Gambia's President concedes defeat in presidential race

Forum 7 years ago

Yahya Jammeh; Gambia's President concedes defeat in presidential race

President Yahya Jammeh, who has ruled The Gambia for 22 years, has conceded defeat to opposition leader Adama Barrow, the chairman of the independent electoral commission said Friday.

"It's really unique that someone who has been ruling this country for so long has accepted defeat,"

Alieu Momar Njietold reporters ahead of the release of the results of Thursday's presidential election.

Gambian state television told AFP that the 51-year-old head of state, who seized power in a coup in 1994, would make a statement later in the day to congratulate Barrow.

Jammeh was running for a fifth term with his Alliance for Patriotic Reorientation and Construction (APRC), while Barrow ran for eight political groups who united for the first time to field a single candidate.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
SPORT 19 mins ago Mohammed urges Tornadoes players to forget defeat to Doma United
Forum | 3 hours ago

SPORT 19 mins ago Mohammed urges Tornadoes players to forget defeat to Doma United

What President Tinubu Told Me About My Removal As APC Chairman – Ganduje (Video)
Forum | 2 days ago

What President Tinubu Told Me About My Removal As APC Chairman – Ganduje (Video)

EPL: It’s not over yet – Declan Rice on title race after Arsenal defeat
Forum | 4 days ago

EPL: It’s not over yet – Declan Rice on title race after Arsenal defeat

EPL: They’re not out of title race – Gary Neville reacts to Arsenal’s 2-0 defeat to Villa
Forum | 4 days ago

EPL: They’re not out of title race – Gary Neville reacts to Arsenal’s 2-0 defeat to Villa